1 bag Romaine lettuce
1 ½ Tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon water
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus 1 additional tablespoon for garlic sauce
1 pound ground chicken
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped fine
5 scallions, chopped
- Remove sturdiest leaves from head of lettuce; reserve remaining lettuce for another use.
- Whisk hoisin sauce, soy sauce, and water together in a small bowl.
- In a separate small bowl combine garlic, ginger, and 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook chicken, stirring to break up clumps, until cooked through and begins to brown, about 4 – 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and heat until just smoking. Add bell pepper, water chestnuts, and scallions and cook until peppers soften, about 3 minutes. Clear center of skillet, add garlic mixture, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and sauce and stir until thickened, about 30 seconds. Put mixture in a large bowl to allow it to cool so it doesn’t wilt lettuce. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and serve.
Great to make ahead of time and mingle rather than cook as guests arrive!
Someone asked about the calorie content of each wrap. The whole batch = 1175 calories.
Divided by 8 servings they are 146 calories apiece.
Divided by 10 servings they are 117 calories apiece.